What are the Most Effective Treatments for Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a chronic skin condition that can interfere with daily activities, make sleeping uncomfortable, and produce unsightly rashes and sores that itch, burn, and bleed. The condition can also alter chemicals like serotonin in the brain, increasing risks for depression.
Plaque psoriasis, the most common type, often appears on the scalp, lower back, elbows, and knees, but other types can impact the trunk, arms and legs, palms, soles of the feet, and even toe and fingernails. While most people only experience one type of psoriasis at a time, it is possible to have more than one type concurrently, and up to 30 percent of people with psoriasis are at risk of developing psoriatic arthritis, a condition marked by swelling of tendons and joints, general stiffness, and increasing fatigue.
There is no cure for psoriasis, but various methods can treat flare-ups. The correct treatment for your needs will depend on your type of psoriasis, how much of your body has been impacted, the length of time you have had the condition, and what other treatments you have tried. The best way to determine which psoriasis treatment is right for you is with a consultation and evaluation with board-certified dermatologist Dr. Steven Greene.
Topical medications are often the first line of treatment for psoriasis. This may include OTC remedies such as products containing aloe vera, coal tar, and salicylic acid, along with prescription medications containing corticosteroids, retinoids, and calcineurin inhibitors. Some of these, such as retinoids, may also be administered via injection to treat psoriasis.
In addition to retinoid injections, other oral and injectable medications commonly used to treat psoriasis include cyclosporine, methotrexate, biologics, and steroids. These may be administered daily, weekly, or monthly and can be used to support other treatments, such as topical ointments and gels.
Dr. Greene is Here to Help
If you have psoriasis, help is available. Please call Advanced Dermatology and Laser Center of Seattle at 206-402-4797 to schedule a consultation and learn more. Dr. Greene is a board-certified dermatologist serving Mercer Island, Redmond, Bellevue, and all nearby areas of Washington.
Does Laser Therapy Work for Hair Restoration?
If you are among the millions of men and women currently experiencing hair loss, you may have found yourself asking, “Does laser therapy really work for hair restoration?” With so many options now available, this is certainly a reasonable question.
In our years of experience and practice (and in clinical studies), we are confident in saying yes, laser hair restoration works. It is a safe, effective, and non-invasive option for treating male and female pattern baldness – and one that does not cause pain, require incisions, or necessitate a daily routine, making it an ideal solution for people interested in growing thicker, stronger, healthier hair.
Alone or combined with other therapies, including PRP hair restoration, laser hair restoration offers remarkable results. Use the contact form on this page or call our Seattle office at 206-402-4797 to schedule a consultation with our board-certified dermatologist to learn if it might be the right solution for you.
At Home or In Office?
We offer two options for laser hair restoration, both of which provide noticeable and predictable results. These are:
- iRestore™, a take-home laser hair restoration treatment that combines two different low-level light modalities to penetrate deeply into the scalp and promote greater blood flow to hair shafts. iRestore stimulates the growth of thicker and healthier hair while also reducing future hair loss and can be completed on your schedule in your own home. Gentle yet effective, results with iRestore typically peak at six months, with sustained results following regular use.
- KeraLase™, a treatment that combines a patented growth factor serum with laser therapy to increase blood supply, improve scalp health, and promote natural hair growth. KeraLase serum (KeraFactor) contains seven bioidentical growth factors clinically shown to improve numerous scalp conditions and encourage the development of thicker, stronger hair. Pre-conditioning the scalp with laser therapy allows for deeper and more targeted penetration of the growth serum, helping to ensure the most pleasing results. Daily application of the serum and laser treatments every six to twelve months allow KeraLase to offer continuously satisfactory results.
Dr. Greene understands how frustrating it can be to find a hair restoration option that works. He is here to listen to your concerns, assess your hair loss, and provide straightforward information about your options to help guide you toward the most effective treatment for your needs.
Call Advanced Dermatology and Laser Institute of Seattle at 206-402-4797 to schedule your consultation today. We welcome patients from Bellevue, Redmond, Tacoma, and all nearby areas of Washington.
Is PRP Hair Restoration Permanent?
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) is a concentration of proteins derived from the blood. While the mechanism behind its efficacy is not entirely understood, growth factors found in PRP are clinically proven to speed the natural healing response, encourage wound healing, and decrease pain. PRP is also an outstanding solution for thinning hair.
PRP assists with hair regrowth in two ways: it improves blood supply to the scalp and hair follicles while also increasing the thickness of the hair shaft. PRP can produce remarkable results within just a few short months by encouraging blood flow and enhancing follicle density. However, these results will be temporary. To maintain your PRP hair regrowth results, you will need to receive touch-up treatments every three to six months.
Hair Loss Treatments
Hair loss is incredibly common. A full 80 percent of men and 50 percent of women will experience hair thinning as they age. And while several treatments can provide long-lasting hair restoration, there are no permanent solutions for hair loss. However, with routine maintenance, there are several options that can help reverse and delay the thinning of hair.
PRP is one of the safest and most effective treatments for hair loss, but it is only one of many. Combining PRP with other hair restoration treatments can improve results and final outcomes.
At the Advanced Dermatology and Laser Institute of Seattle, our board-certified dermatologist offers a carefully selected range of hair restoration treatments. Depending on your unique needs and desires, he may recommend PRP alone or in combination with:
- iRestore™. This at-home hair restoration treatment uses lasers to stimulate cell metabolism rates and increases ATP to stop hair loss and encourage the regrowth of thicker, healthier hair
- KeraLase™. A combination therapy, KeraLase combines low-level laser therapy with a one-of-a-kind peptide-rich serum to stimulate the regeneration of denser hair follicles
- KeraFactor. For use at home, KeraFactor combines proprietary hair thickening shampoo, conditioner, and serum with laser cap scalp stimulation to improve scalp health and encourage the regrowth of thicker hair
- Viviscal™. A drug-free nutritional supplement that nourishes hair follicles from the inside, promoting the growth of thicker, healthier hair
Like PRP, laser hair treatments, supplements, shampoos, and serums can do wonders, but do not offer a permanent solution for hair loss. Continued applications are always needed to ensure ongoing results.
To learn more about the advanced hair loss treatments at our comfortable office, please call 206-402-4797 and schedule a consultation. We welcome patients from Bellevue, Lynnwood, Mercer Island, and all nearby areas of Washington.
Treatments for Radiantly Healthy Skin
As we enter the cold winter months, how we care for our skin becomes all the more important. Even in Seattle, where the weather stays reasonably wet during the cooler months, dry indoor heat can strip skin of its moisture, resulting in cracked and chapped skin and exacerbating issues like eczema.
At Advanced Dermatology and Laser Institute, our board-certified dermatologist and highly-trained staff are here to personalize your treatment options and address your exact concerns to help you achieve radiant and healthy-looking skin. This winter, consider treatments that combat changes to the skin, encourage healing, and create a healthier-looking glow.
Top Aesthetic Treatments in Seattle
We offer a comprehensive range of cosmetic dermatology services, each designed to address specific issues. Some of our most popular treatments correct problems such as:
- Wrinkles. With wrinkle relaxers, such as BOTOX® Cosmetic, and dermal fillers, including JUVÉDERM®, Restylane® and Belotero®, we can soften fine lines and deep wrinkles to restore a fuller and softer complexion.
- Skin Laxity. Sagging jowls, droopy cheeks, and double chin may respond well to fillers, injectable treatments such as Kybella®, laser skin tightening, and more.
- Uneven Pigmentation. Microneedling, chemical peel, and HydraFacial® can correct skin tone irregularities to restore an even and consistent appearance.
- Dry/Red Skin. From hydrating facials and dermaplaning to advanced emollients and moisturizers, we provide both in-office and take-home solutions for dry and irritated skin.
- Sun/Age Spots. Laser skin resurfacing, IPL, microdermabrasion, chemical peel, and more can erase age and sunspots, returning the skin to its most vibrant and youthful appearance.
These treatments can safely correct an impressive range of common cosmetic and skin health concerns. Their impacts can be extended or even enhanced through proper daily skin care.
We offer solutions from trusted, scientifically-backed skincare companies whose products are consistent with our standards. During your time in our care, we can discuss your home routine and the health of your skin to help you find and optimize a suitable at-home regimen.
Contact Us to Schedule an Appointment Today
If you would like more information about healing and improving the health and appearance of your skin, please call Advanced Dermatology and Laser Institute of Seattle at 206-402-4797 to schedule your initial consultation today. Dr. Greene and our staff welcome patients from Bellevue, Mercer Island, Sammamish, and all nearby areas of Washington.
November is National Healthy Skin Month
November is National Healthy Skin Month, providing the ideal time to consider the health of your skin and your goals going forward. Even if your skin care routine is thorough and consistent, National Healthy Skin Month is a great time to call our office and schedule a consultation with board-certified dermatologist Dr. Scott Greene. This one-on-one consultation will allow Dr. Greene to assess your skin, provide information about different treatments and solutions, and start you on your way to the healthiest and most beautiful skin of your life.
National Healthy Skin Month is also an excellent time to remember that skin health is part of your overall physical health. Visiting our office yearly for a thorough examination is an essential part of a comprehensive preventative healthcare plan. If it has been over a year since your last dermatological evaluation, get in touch today to schedule your next visit.
We offer a wide range of cosmetic treatments to help your skin look and feel amazing. Conditions we can assist with include:
- Aging Skin. Fine lines, deep wrinkles, skin laxity, volume loss, and more can be addressed through treatments including microneedling, dermal fillers, wrinkle relaxers, and laser skin resurfacing
- Sun and Age Spots. Treatments for pigmentation irregularities, dark spots, and similar issues include IPL Photofacial, laser skin resurfacing, chemical peels, and HydraFacial®
- Acne and Surgical Scars. Scarring can be reduced or eliminated with cryotherapy, laser skin resurfacing, chemical peel, and more
Dr. Greene also offers solutions for active acne, permanent hair removal, spider veins, and skin concerns like rosacea to help produce the clearest, healthiest-looking skin possible.
As a board-certified dermatologist, Dr. Greene can diagnose and treat skin disorders and diseases in addition to aesthetic concerns. Services offered at our comfortable and welcoming Seattle office include:
- Skin Cancer Removal
- Removal of warts, Pre-Cancerous Growths, and Moles
- Treatment for Hives and Fungal Infections
Solutions for often painful or irritating conditions including rashes, eczema, and psoriasis are also available at our office.
We are committed to helping our patients achieve optimal comfort through the targeted treatment of specific and complex skin conditions. We are pleased to offer a selection of services that allow us to meet this goal.
We are Here for You
If you have skin concerns you would like to discuss, November is a wonderful time to contact Advanced Dermatology and Laser Institute of Seattle for a treatment evaluation. Please call 206-402-4797 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Greene, and let us help you attain and keep the healthy and gorgeous skin you deserve.
Safe and Effective Treatments for Spider Veins
Spider veins often accompany the aging process. Although they are not usually a cause for concern medically, they can be unsightly, and many people choose to have them removed for cosmetic purposes.
The good news is that there are safe and effective treatments for all types of vascular issues, including spider veins – and at Advanced Dermatology and Laser Institute of Seattle, our board-certified dermatologist is committed to offering the safest and most advanced options available.
What Are Spider Veins?
Spider veins are capillaries in the skin that have dilated and become visible from the surface. They may present as thin, branching red, blue, purple, or green lines and are most common in the legs, but may also occur on the cheeks, nose, and elsewhere on the body.
While spider veins are related to various conditions, the most common causes are pregnancy, weight gain, and the simple process of aging. Genetics and lifestyle choices, including sun exposure, and jobs that require prolonged standing or sitting can also contribute to the development of spider veins. However, the cause is generally irrelevant to the cure. Spider vein treatment is suitable for nearly everyone.
Treatment options for spider veins include:
- Sclerotherapy. Sclerotherapy treats both spider veins and varicose veins. It involves the injection of a solution into the veins that causes them to constrict and close. This is the most common treatment for spider veins, but not always the most comfortable
- Laser Vein Treatment. Dr. Greene can also use lasers to treat spider veins. This virtually painless procedure utilizes concentrated energy to significantly reduce the appearance of spider veins from outside the body. Laser treatment is accurate, virtually painless, and won’t damage the skin. Because it is quick and minimally invasive, many of our patients opt for this advanced spider vein treatment
We strive to provide the most effective solutions for each person’s needs. The best way to find out which treatment is right for you is through a consultation at our comfortable office.
Are You a Good Candidate for Spider Vein Treatment?
If you have spider veins that you’d like to have treated, Dr. Greene is here to help. Please call Advanced Dermatology and Laser Institute of Seattle at 206-402-4797 to schedule a consultation and learn more about the safe and long-lasting treatment options we offer. We welcome patients from Redmond, Bellevue, Mercer Island, and all nearby communities.
Why Do I Still Have Acne? Solutions for Adults
Acne is a common part of adolescence. It typically subsides naturally by a person’s mid-20s. But unfortunately, for many women and men, the issue persists into their 30s, 40s, and beyond.
There can be several individual factors that influence the presence and prevalence of adult acne. Some of the most common causes include:
- Excessive Oil Production
- Hormone Fluctuations
- Comedogenic Products
- Certain Medications
- Corticosteroid and Anabolic Steroid Use
- Poor Diet
These issues can produce embarrassing and painful acne on adults’ faces, necks, backs, and chests.
Determining the cause of your acne will play a role in which treatment is used to eliminate it. During your initial consultation, board-certified dermatologist Dr. Steven Greene will work to determine the underlying cause of your chronic or late-onset acne to help ensure the most effective treatments are used.
Treatments for Adult Acne
There are some steps you can take at home to reduce adult acne. These include choosing a well-balanced and healthy diet, using non-comedogenic products, and taking steps to reduce stress. However, these alone may not be enough to address the problem entirely.
Cosmetic treatments that can reduce or eliminate the presence of acne in adults include:
While each treatment addresses specific concerns, many of these options can be used to correct other skin concerns as well, including textural issues, pigmentation irregularities, sun and age spots, and even vascular lesions. Some, along with treatments such as dermaplaning and microneedling, may also be effective at treating acne scars.
In addition to professional services, adopting a solid daily skin care routine will help treat adult acne. This can include gentle cleansers, moisturizers, serums, and ointments, though each person has unique concerns and needs. The best way to determine the professional services and skincare products that are ideal for you is through a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Greene.
We Are Here for You
Adult acne is relatively common. Several safe and effective options are available for its treatment. To learn which will best meet your needs, please call the Advanced Dermatology and Laser Institute of Seattle at 206-402-4797 to schedule your initial consultation today.
What are the Best Treatments for Facial Volume Loss?
As we age, the substances in our skin that help produce a soft, full, and smooth appearance begin to diminish. Over time, this allows for a loss of volume in the face, resulting in issues such as sagging cheeks, droopy jowls, sunken eye sockets, and hollow temples. Fortunately, while these are expected consequences of aging and an inevitable outcome of facial volume loss, safe and effective treatments are readily available.
Dermal fillers offer the best solution for restoring lost volume to the face. However, the type of filler that will work best for your specific needs depends on several unique factors. During your initial consultation with one of our cosmetic dermatologists, we will carefully evaluate your problem areas and help you decide on the right filler for your concerns.
At the Advanced Dermatology and Laser Institute of Seattle, we offer a range of safe and effective dermal fillers. Some of our most popular include:
- Hyaluronic Acid Fillers. Fillers from JUVÉDERM®, Restylane®, and Belotero Balance® contain hyaluronic acid (HA), which helps the skin retain moisture. These fillers restore lost HA to improve facial volume and create a softer, more youthful appearance for up to 18 months
- Poly-L-Lactic Acid Fillers. Sculptra® contains poly-L-lactic acid, a collagen stimulator. Collagen is a structural protein responsible for skin elasticity and strength. Like HA, collagen diminishes as we age. Stimulating collagen production helps to restore lost volume for up to two years
- Calcium Hydroxylapatite Fillers. The active ingredient in Radiesse® is calcium hydroxylapatite (CaHA). CaHA stimulates the production of collagen and elastin to restore lost volume to the face. CaHA fillers can produce results for 15 or more months
Finding the Best Fit
Several considerations go into determining which filler is appropriate for each person. The best way to learn which option might be right for you is through a one-on-one consultation at our office. Our experienced and thoughtful staff is here to listen to your concerns, carefully evaluate your needs, and guide you toward the best solutions.
Call us at 206-402-4797 to schedule your visit today. We Serve Seattle and all nearby areas of Washington.
Why Do I Treat Scars?
June 8, 2022, marked the 50th Anniversary of one of the most memorable historical photos of the Vietnam War. On June 8, 1972, an American Airforce squadron raided a small jungle village called Trang Bang dropping napalm incendiary bombs in an attempt to flush out the Viet Cong army hiding in the nearby jungle. A photo was taken of a 9-year-old girl running away from the fire and smoke with excruciating burns on her skin as a helpless victim of the war. This photograph, widely known as “The Napalm Girl”, ran on front pages of newspapers all over the world and won a Pulitzer Prize. In time, it became one of the most famous images from the Vietnam War.
The burns to her skin required nearly a year of hospital care and ultimately caused her to live with painful scars covering her arms, legs, and trunk. This girl’s name is Kim Phuc. I met Kim as an adult at a Laser Meeting (ASLMS 2/20/2017) several years ago where she shared the story of her life’s journey after her village was bombed, how her physical scars have been successfully treated in the modern era with lasers and other treatment modalities and how she has dedicated her life’s work as the Founder of the Kim Foundation International, which provides aid to child victims of war.
Scar Revision at Advanced Dermatology and Laser Institute of Seattle
Dr. Greene’s story and life’s work have been an inspiration to me as I evaluate and treat patients in our Clinical Laser Practice – Advanced Dermatology and Laser Institute of Seattle. We see patients with all types of scars including acne scars, post-operative scars, patients who have been in motor vehicle accidents, scars from thermal and chemical burns, self-harm scars, and keloid scars.
Why do people come to see me about their scars? Some of their scars are painful or severely itchy while others want to improve the appearance of their skin deformities. However, a common theme that most patients share with me is that they are ready to move forward with their lives and symbolically let go of the mental anguish that their scars have regularly reminded them of. Many of my patients have experienced the pain of being ostracized and bullied for their skin deformities and scars for many years. Some of these patients have attempted suicide because of the painful memories that their scars remind them of.
In the modern age, we now have many new and successful treatment options for the care of scars. While we cannot always guarantee the total resolution of a scar, we can usually make at least significant improvements in the skin hue, color, and texture. Treatments of scars can also improve bodily function and range of motion with successful outcomes enhancing the overall quality of life.
If you have a solitary scar or multiple scars that you would like to have evaluated, please call Advanced Dermatology and Laser Institute of Seattle at 206-402-4797 for a consultation with our Board-Certified Dermatologist, Dr. Steven Greene, who specializes in the treatment of your condition.
Does Sunscreen Actually Prevent Sun Damage?
There are two types of sunscreen: mineral and chemical. Chemical sunscreens absorb UV rays and convert them into heat before releasing them from the skin. These sunscreens penetrate the skin deeply to dissipate UV rays. Mineral sunscreens do not penetrate the skin but rather sit on top where they work to reflect UV rays away from the body. Both can be effective against sun damage.
Daily use of a chemical or mineral sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher has been shown to reduce the risk of developing skin cancer. Daily use of sunscreen can also help to reduce the risks of sun damage such as lines and wrinkles, dark spots, textural irregularities, and more.
Damage done to the skin by UV rays is cumulative. The more frequently you are exposed to direct UV rays, the higher your chances of developing a sun-related skin imperfection. But not all sunscreens are equally safe and effective. Selecting a high-quality, full-spectrum option is essential for optimal results.
We can help you choose the best sunscreen for your skin during your next visit.
Treating Sun Damaged Skin
Cosmetic imperfections brought about by UV exposure can be treated with a variety of non-surgical options. At our office, we can treat non-cancerous sun damage with:
- Chemical Peel. Applied directly to the skin, peels work to deeply exfoliate, encouraging smoother, blemish-free skin
- IPL Photofacial. IPL penetrates deep into the dermis to eliminate damaged and discolored skin cells
- Laser Skin Resurfacing. Laser skin resurfacing removes the top layer of skin to expose healthier layers underneath. This service also stimulates collagen production, helping to address a range of age-related skin concerns
Age, environmental factors, lifestyle choices, and more can combine to impact the appearance of the skin. The treatments we offer for sun damage help to produce a smoother, more youthful, and more attractive appearance – often after just one treatment.
If you are struggling with sun-damaged skin and would like to learn more about your treatment options, please call The Advanced Dermatology and Laser Institute of Seattle at 206-402-4797 to schedule a consultation today.