Scars are a permanent reminder of a past injury, surgical wound, or previous acne. A scar can remind us of a personally-uncomfortable experience in the past, and it can often make us feel self-conscious. No matter what type of scar is present, there are many treatment options that can significantly lessen its appearance.
If you have a scar you would like removed or made less visible, schedule a scar reduction consultation at Advanced Dermatology and Laser Institute of Seattle today.
Physical and Emotional Relief
Scars are formed when the wound healing process is disrupted by factors such as too much or too little collagen production. Pulses of laser energy coagulate scar tissue and encourage the skin to replace itself with healthy new tissue. Our fractional Cynosure Icon 1540 nm Erbium glass XD/XF laser is safe for all skin types and effectively reduces:
- Atrophic Scarring: Depressed, pin-like pockets in the skin that can result from skin conditions of diseases such as acne and chicken pox.
- Hypertrophic Scarring: Firm, raised, and pink scars that remain within the initial wound area and may fade over time.
- Keloid Scarring: Firm, raised, and reddish-purple scars that extend beyond the initial wound area and build over time.
The fractional lasers can even improve the appearance of normally formed surgical scars. We also offer a variety of other treatment options such as Excel V KTP Laser, and Erbium:Yag lasers for scar removal.
Other scar removal techniques offered include:
- Subcision: Minor surgical technique which breaks up underlying adhesions beneath the scar.
- Cryoshape: Utilizing freezing of the scar with a cold probe useful in the treatment of Keloid scars.
- Microneedling with the Rejuvapen: Very useful in treating stretch marks, acne scars, and other scars that would benefit from Collagen Induction.
- Platelet-Rich Plasma: Activates your own stem cells to regenerate new healthy collagen.
How does laser scar treatment work?
Unlike surgery, laser scar treatment uses short pulses of micro-fine laser light to reach deeply into the skin’s sub-layers, treating the support structure. Then the body’s natural healing process sweeps away older, damaged tissue and rebuilds it with fresh, new collagen and elastin. It’s a fast and simple procedure that’s easy to tolerate and requires little to no downtime.
Get a laser scar removal treatment plan for your scars. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn more about laser scar treatment!
Laser Scar Removal FAQ
What types of scars can be treated?
Laser scar treatment is FDA-cleared for surgical scars and acne scars on any area of the body, including the face.
Am I a good candidate for this procedure?
Laser scar removal can work on many skin types, including very light and very dark skin. Schedule a consultation to find out if you are a good candidate for this treatment.
How long does it take?
The procedure can be performed in as little as 30 minutes, depending on the size of the treatment area.
Does it hurt?
Most people feel minimal discomfort during laser scar removal treatment. Your provider can discuss pain management options with you.
How many treatments will I need?
Most people may need three to seven treatment sessions for optimum aesthetic results.
How quickly will I recover?
Most people resume regular activities immediately following the treatment session.
Are there any side effects?
Typical side effects include temporary redness and swelling at the treatment site, which should last only a few days. There is a low risk of prolonged itching, redness, and blistering; a risk of lightening of the skin or darkening of the skin, and burns and bruising–some of which may result in scarring.
Our staff can provide individualized information on potential side effects with you.