We live for summer here in the Pacific Northwest. What a treat when our trademark gray and gloomy skies give way to picturesque sunny days. But just because we only get to enjoy a few months of truly wonderful weather doesn’t mean we aren’t still susceptible to all of the common dangers of summer sun damage.
Understanding Your Skin and the Sun
While getting a little sun every day will give your body an essential boost of vitamin D, overexposure can wreak havoc on the skin’s outer layer. Even if you wear sunscreen, getting too much of the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays can damage and prematurely age your skin, not to mention the increased risk of skin cancers, especially deadly melanoma. That’s why it’s important to always protect your skin whenever exposed to direct sunlight.
Symptoms of Sun Damage
If you do happen to get too much UV radiation, sun damage can show up in many different ways. Common symptoms include:
- Wrinkles and fine lines
- Sun, age, or liver spots
- Hyperpigmentation or discoloration
- Uneven skin tone
- Rough skin texture
- Broken capillaries
Treating Sun Damaged Skin
Did you get too much sun this summer? Don’t worry, we have four great methods that can address summer sun damage at Dr. Greene’s Advanced Dermatology and Laser Institute of Seattle! Dr. Greene may recommend one or more of the following treatments to repair damage caused by harmful UV radiation:
- Fractional Laser Resurfacing is an excellent way to repair unsightly blemishes caused by the summer sun. The laser works to remove the injured cells while encouraging the production of collagen. With fully customizable treatment sessions, Dr. Greene can address your specific concerns. A series of laser sessions may be recommended for optimal results.
- IPL works to penetrate the deeper tissues with intense pulses of therapeutic light. This action stimulates your body’s own healing mechanisms, encouraging the skin to repair itself. The tissues affected by sun damage are naturally removed, leaving smoother and healthier looking skin. The broad spectrum of light in each pulse allows for a wide variety of those common problems to be addressed during the same treatment.
- HydraFacial® resurfaces the skin while it cleanses, exfoliates, and extracts impurities without damaging the tissues. The multi-step process removes dead skin cells to reveal brighter, healthier skin underneath. First, the handpiece delivers a gentle mix of chemicals to loosen any oil, dirt, and debris that are clogging your pores. Next, it uses vacuum suction to remove the loosened dirt and impurities. Finally, invigorating nutrients are released into your skin to nourish and revitalize your outer layer. HydraFacial is perfect for any skin type to diminish the appearance of wrinkles, lines, spots, and enlarged pores, while simultaneously improving the skin’s elasticity, texture, and tone.
- Chemical Peels work to improve the appearance of sun-damaged skin with a chemical solution that exfoliates and removes the outermost layer of skin. The new, healthy skin that’s revealed will be smoother and brighter. These gentle peels can be performed on any skin type to deeply rejuvenate the skin with little to no downtime. Chemical peels also stimulate new cell production and skin tightening, all while allowing for better absorption of your skincare products.
Reverse Summer Sun Damage at Advanced Dermatology and Laser Institute of Seattle
If you’re in the Pacific Northwest and you’d like to learn more about correcting sun damage with Dr. Greene and his experienced team, please don’t hesitate to schedule a consultation today.